Ups and downs..
The days that have passed since last update have been quite the roller coaster. We will start in order of the events that have occurred so that I am able to keep my thoughts straight. Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon went as the previous days had. Kyro continued to be difficult about his pills, but we were able to discover that coconut yogurt was a good way to administer. Hiding the pills in the yogurt tricked him just enough that he would swallow down his medications.
We noticed after his surgery that his appetite hadn't been what it was previously. This could be caused by a number of things: the medication, lack of activity, pain. We kept an eye on it and his gums to ensure that he wasn't becoming lethargic or drastically losing weight.
As evening approached we noticed a drastic decline in Kyro's behavior. He was becoming increasing fussy and anxious. After a restroom break he became to cough and sneeze. Concerned, I checked his gums and discovered they had become pale and his tongue was a shade of purple. Worried, we rushed into the 24/7 ER Vet to get him checked out. Upon arrival his gum coloring had returned and aside from an elevated heart rate they didn't see any concerning signs. They took some radiographs (X-rays) of his lungs just to ensure he didn't have the beginning of pneumonia. Pneumonia is something to keep an eye out for animals that have been sedated. They can on occasion respirate which can cause pneumonia.
The radiographs came back clean and didn't show any signs of pneumonia. We received some anti-anxiety medication that would hopefully help with his discomfort. Returning home Kyro seemed fine. He slept the rest on and off the rest of the weekend without restlessness.
The rest of the week continued on with less stress and concern. Between my lack of sleep, worrying about Kyro and working I caught a cold. The lack of sleep worsened the cold and I ended up getting a upper respiratory infection. Kyro and I spent several days cuddled up together sleeping the day away in an attempt for us both to recover.
Kyro still refused to really eat, but would piece at this and that. We continued to check his gums and watch his behavior to make sure it wasn't changing. We figured his lack of appetite had to be the major reduction in activity levels, so he just was not desiring to intake as much.
I spoke to the Technician who schedules surgery rechecks and got Kyro set on Wednesday the 15th to have his sutures looked at and possibly removed. The hope was that if the suture removal got OK'd he would be free of his cone and would be able to start his hydrotherapy treatment.
Today, while at work, I received a concerned call from my younger sister. She was home sick from school and had noticed Kyro was acting oddly. He was being abnormally vocal and was not baring weight on his hind knee. She thought he might be in pain and tried to give him his pain medication, but it had made no difference.
Concerned by this, I asked her to send me an image of his sutures to see if it appeared inflamed. When I saw the image she sent me I grew more concerned as the area around his sutures appeared far more irritated than it had that AM. I brought the image back to the Doctor and they recommended he be seen.
Waiting for answers..
A short while later my sister arrived with Kyro. I took him back to have him examined, explaining his recent behavior and lack of appetite. It was recommended that he get a set of radiographs down on his knee to make sure something hadn't been bent, or damaged somehow. Unfortunately Kyro was already somewhat distressed and would not remain still for the X-rays, so they had to sedate him.
The radiographs came back looking normal (thankfully!) but it was suspected that Kyro had the beginning of an infection.
Due to the concern of infection, Kyro was put on a longer dose of antibiotics than previously (he had just finished his prior antibiotics on Sunday) given. 3 antibiotic pills every 12 hours until completion. I was relieved to hear that it was caught early and wasn't something damaged in his knee.
The concern of appetite was still there, so Kyro's medications were changed up. The side effects of the pain medication he was on can sometimes cause appetite loss, so we opted to go for a non-oral one. The non-oral medication is a patch applied to the area he was shaved for when he got his epidural. It begins to take effect after 24hrs and lasts around 72hrs. It typically does not impact the appetite, so the hope was that he would begin to eat regularly once again.
After the patch was applied we were discharged to go home. Due to the lower portion of the suture looking strained it is something that has to be continuously checked on to ensure it isn't worsening. Other than that, he was OK'd to continue his recovery as he was before- with the reduction of the pain meds he was on before.
Upon arrival home Kyro was still very out of it from being sedated. He was wobbly and softly whining (typical reaction). We got him into his recovery room and settled on his dog bed. I administered his antibiotic pills and made sure he swallowed them. Now, we are sitting together (he is sleeping soundly- snoring in fact) while I am typing up this update.
The plan still remains to have Kyro's sutured checked this coming Wednesday. If there is an improvement and all looks good- he will still be able to have them removed. If there appears to be continued separation, or irritation he will have to wait until the antibiotics do the trick before he can have them removed. If the separation is continuing drastically he will need to go in sooner to ensure his sutures don't rip and cause further injury.
As of right now, all seems well and peaceful. Kyro is contently asleep and we will try some food in the AM (fingers crossed!)
If you want to donate toward Kyro's Road to Recovery you can do so here: